Sunday, November 25, 2012

It feels like skidding out

When I was 15 1/2 my mom and dad took me to the local college parking lot and taught me to drive a standard transmission car.  How they survived my whiplash take offs and gear changes is testament to their great patience and love.  For most of my adult life, I drove standard transmission cars.  I was really proud of my ability to shift smoothly, to hold a car on a hill with just the clutch and break, to get through an intersection faster than the other cars with automatic transmission - even if they were great big power beasts.

Today I found a new conveyance to learn to drive - it's only been 45 years since the last lesson - I took a fork lift for a spin.  It was really weird - I felt like I was skidding out in the rear end.  Forklifts have back turn wheels and big forks in the front.  I need to find a big college parking lot and practice - again.  I wonder if God could lend me my dad - he was a great teacher and I need a little love.


No comments:

Post a Comment