Monday, December 17, 2012

Odd spirits

Yesterday I went to San Francisco to see a play, the Book of Mormon.  I really enjoyed the play, although it had some tough themes and poked fun at others sacred beliefs.  I felt a bit bad for enjoying it so much.  I consoled myself with the thought that the Mormons were broadminded enough about the play to put a whole series of advertisements in the playbill, so they mustn't be too upset about it.

Before the play we were walking around Union Square looking in the Christmas windows of the shops.  A man dressed as a Buddist monk came up to me.  He handed me a little prayer card and told he he was making prayers for peace and did I want to pray for peace.  I said yes, as I do believe in prayer and peace.  He then put a small bead bracelet on my wrist, and asked me to write my name and my prayer request in his book.  I put my name there and then he asked me for money.  I said I didn't have any money and he took back his prayer card, his bracelet and walked away.

I still want to pray.  I pray that we find common ground between all people.  I pray that we celebrate each other, and don't put down other's beliefs that are loving, joyful and peaceful.  I pray that we all help to create a peaceful, joyful, loving world with dignity for all.


No comments:

Post a Comment