Sunday, August 5, 2012


I need to give up my arrogance of intellect.  I need to get closer to feeling and live less in my head.

Most of my life I’ve tried to be “smart.”  I refused to learn to type when I was in high school because I didn’t want to be pigeonholed as a dumb secretary.  When I started to work in an office in the early ’70’s  I was a PBX operator (telephone operator - like on Lilly Tomlin’s laugh-in).  One ringy dingy, two ringy dingy . . . because “girls” were allowed to be secretaries, receptionists, and telephone operators and I didn’t know how to type.  When I realized that secretaries made more money than PBX operators, I spent every spare minute typing envelopes and following the lessons in a book trying to learn touch typing.  

None of this had anything to do with what I really enjoy.  I’ve always wanted to write, but I’m afraid to expose my thoughts.  I was too smart to try and work at any field near my true passion.  Now that I realize that being smart is a rather dumb pose.  I am going to try and explore painting with words.  For me, words have a color, tone, and musicality.  This blog will help me exercise my skills and exorcise my fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment