Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A hint of cinnamon and vanilla


When I was young, I used to bake for my family - my birth family.  It was my favorite kind of cooking.  I would make bread and brownies and date nut bars and cookies.  Cookies were my favorite.  I had 4 or 5 different recipes that I would make regularly.  It was fun.  I made snicker doodles, and toll house and oatmeal and spice and apricot bars.  My favorite was oatmeal chocolate chip with walnuts.  I love the way the smell of warm cookies fills the house with the hint of cinnamon and vanilla.  Cookies baking makes a house a home.

Later in my life, I sole houses for a while.  One of the tips was to put some vanilla on a piece of foil and stick it in a warm oven.  It’s supposed to make the house smell like home.  I’d rather bake a real batch of cookies.  Fun and function and yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment