Saturday, October 20, 2012

Parents vs Grandparents



Well, I’m both.  In my mind, being a parent meant forming a little being into a person who has good character and will be a benefit to society.  I felt a very very strong compulsion to model what I thought was good behavior.  I worried over every deviation and tried to discern if it was something that might explode into a “problem.”  I was sure that my task was to “Raise” good people. It was/is my responsibility.

Being a grandparent, I don’t feel any of that responsibility.  I am compelled now to celebrate the individual in my grandchildren.  I don’t care about what they eat, what time they go to bed, or what letters are on their report cards.  I do care that they enjoy life.  I care that they feel loved.  I want them to explore the world and find it and themselves good.  I am a Gram that is a cheerleader for her grandkids and our world.

I love being a grandparent.  I’m not so enthusiastic about parenthood.  I wanted and love my children.  I think they are really nice people.  I wish I could be their Gram instead of their Mom - it sure would be a lot more fun!

P.S.  2, 4, 6, 8 who do we appreciate - Go Giants!!

No comments:

Post a Comment